Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans' Day

I have always considered myself a veteran. I served for 21 months at approximately the same time as Elvis. In fact, we served a few hundred miles from each other -- I, in France; he, in Germany. Alas, we never met. Before the end of my 24-month commitment, I was granted early release to accept a teaching position with a man who turned out to be the worst principal for whom I ever worked. I experienced some regret that I had left my cushy job editing a small Army newspaper, but when the Vietnam War started, I was retroactively gratified by my perspicacity.

I served during a period called the Cold War when we had troops stationed in Europe, lest hostilities re-erupt. Ignoring the danger (actually, I just wanted to see Europe, which, as it turned out, became my only opportunity), I volunteered to go to France, and although I was not shot at, I was a soldier and could have been. Yet, I recently discovered that I am not eligible for most veterans' benefits, which are reserved for those who actually killed people and blew up things. Fair? I suppose; disappointing? Yes.

Today, we honor those who endured the shooting and bombing aspects of being a veteran, and especially those who gave their lives protecting our freedom. Wherever they are, I hope they can't see a certain 1,900 page assault on freedom under consideration in Congress.

FYI: While researching the spelling of my title, I learned that popular usage omits the apostrophe. Sorry, state-run media, but my spelling is more grammatically correct than yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home