Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, February 09, 2007

The Corporate Entity

Someone at the "skilled nursing facility" told me that my current "residence" was the flagship of the corporate entity. It was the first and only building they owned, and the remainder of the vast empire (several states) encompassed leased or rented "residences." I say, "someone told me," because if I had asked anyone else, the response would have assuredly been different. I have never before been associated with so many people who either 1. didn't know anything, 2. didn't want to admit they didn't know, 3. were instructed to avoid answering, 4. were instructed to lie, 5. lied as a matter of course, because most residents wouldn't remember, 6. said what they thought the questioner wanted to hear, 7. pretended to be too busy, or 8. falsely promised to check.

The only interest the corporate entity has is profit. Although the word "care" is bandied about, that care is for the bottom line. By general consensus, 40% of the time is taken up with paperwork. This is one area where a significant number of the staff agreed. Obviously, the purpose of this accounting is to satisfy the the governmental agencies while still maximizing profit. Each of the three entities has its separate rules and regulations, so that it is understandable that some of the staff might be confused, but one never hears, "I don't know, " or "I'm sorry, I made a mistake." It would be better if they made these phrases a part of the training, instead of the ubiquitous, "Honey."

1 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

The film The Corporation, which I recommended yesterday, suggests that corporations can work for the good of people, but only if it can be shown to be profitable. Rent ASAP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home