Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Strange bedfellows

Sometimes I am reminded that I don't know everything, like my father-in-law thought he did. It appears I missed the fact that the state of California has a law which prohibits linking teacher evaluations to student performance. The article in the Sacramento Bee by Torey Van Oot (what a great name) goes on to say that, surprisingly, it is being enforced, and Governor Schwarzenegger, the kindergarten cop, wants it repealed. Why?

Money, of course. Part of President Obama's stimulus package provides $4.3 billion to schools which penalize teachers for the failures of students and their parents. Democrat politicians just never tire of looking for someone to punish.

I find myself actually agreeing with California Teachers Association Vice President Dean Vogel, when he says that merit-based pay "just [doesn't] work." I guess the CTA's love of liberalism ends when they get their pockets picked. Hopefully, hidden in there somewhere is the knowledge that education is primarily the responsibility of the children as nutured by their parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home