Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, November 16, 2009

Was Della only an employee?

As a youth, I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. Perry Mason was my hero, on TV, because I became addicted to visuals, and, as I discovered later, Erle Stanley Gardner, the creator of the clever attorney, wasn't actually much of a writer. Then, I discovered I loved to sing, and I went to music school, and when I took a required basic history course, it was based on famous Supreme Court cases, and the professor, like author Gardner's writing style, was boring, and my ardor for the law waned. Besides, I met several interesting women in opera workshop.

So, I am not an attorney, but I have watched and enjoyed every lawyer show on TV for years. It seems clear to me that trying five terrorists in a U.S. court in New York is asking for them to be acquitted. None of them were read his Miranda rights, and the government itself has called their enhanced interrogation "torture." Case dismissed.

In addition, the terrorists welcome the opportunity to spout their venom near the scene of the crime, and will probably not move for dismissal until they have at least have had their Warhol fifteen minutes. After the terrorist recruitment lecture, any good lawyer will point out the obvious, and the judge will have no choice but to set them free. It may be that military tribunals are the only way to go, but it looks like we'll never know.

CONSPIRACY THEORY: Completely without evidence, I would suggest that, considering that the Obama administration's plan for employing such a tenuous method of prosecution seems bound to end in acquital, someone, for some purely perverse political reason, wants that to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home