Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, February 05, 2010

Two in the mail

1. A card included in the envelope with my Social Security check informed me of the Medicare Savings Program, where people of limited income and resources may get help from their states paying their Medicare Part B premiums. My initial reaction was to be disturbed that, if this assistance has been available all along, I hadn't known about it until now. Then I thought, perhaps it's new, and I should apply for it, because I must surely be eligible.

In the end, I have decided to gift the state of California $96.40 per month for this year by not further taxing the budget; but I reserve the right to change my mind if the state's financial situation improves substantially or mine stops supporting my modest lifestyle. You're welcome, California.

2. Soon after Christmas, I received a solicitation from the VFW, one on my five regular charities, along with those supporting sick children, the homeless, a lovely endangered lake, and trees. I had successfully sent about $100 to each at the end of last year, so in January, I responded to the VFW with one of my snarky business cards threatening to drop them if they bothered me all year long.

Surprise! I received a personal response from Kelly J. Jones, Manager, Development. In part, Kelly said, "Thank you for your recent note regarding Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States mailings. We understand you would like to receive only one solicitation each year with no gifts enclosed. From now on, you will receive a mailing in the Fall."

True, I am up to my ears in address labels, but I have to respond to Kelly's letter to insure that I do receive more of those fine Christmas cards and gift wrap they sent me three times last fall.

Now, if I could just get that insurance company from whom I bought a whole-life policy for my great-granddaughter to stop sending me solicitations for their other products twice every month. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home