Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, May 31, 2012

(Not so) secret ballot.

On June 5, California holds its first open primary election, and I have mailed in my ballot.  I consider it an experiment which may or may not be a good idea.  It did encourage me to vote for a Democrat for the first time in many years.  He won't be elected, but maybe I can help send a message to Senator Dianne Feinstein that there are some of us who are tired of her.  Unfortunately, no Republican of any significance is running, and it appears that party is conceding the seat again.  Maybe, when we hit rock bottom, voters will finally put the blame on liberalism where it belongs.

In my new State Assembly district I voted for one of the two Republicans, who, of late, have begun negative campaigning.  I chose the one who is slightly less vitriolic.  In November, I'll be more perspicacious.  Nobody knows the farmer the Democrats have provided as cannon fodder.

Only Republicans are on the presidential list. and, although Willard the Mitt supposedly went over the top in delegates on Tuesday in Texas, I voted for Ron Paul, and I hope that also sends a message.

For Congress, I surprisingly chose a woman, the only candidate out of four Republicans who has advertised.  Unfortunately, in this, my other new district, the Democrat incumbent has name recognition.  I'm really going to miss my old district and Congressman Wally Herger who retired after doing everything right for all the time I have been here.  No Democrat could ever represent me as well.  Hopefully, the vote in November will be close.

As usual, I voted "no" on both initiatives, because I believe that laws should be enacted by the vote of the representatives we elected to do that job.  Besides, those two issues annoy me.  I object to people being singled out for special punitive taxation (smokers, in this case), and I cannot discern whether the second initiative increases or decreases the length of the existing term limits for elected officials, when I'm not even sure I agree there should be any limits.  After all, Wally, for instance, did a fine job for over 20 years, earned every dollar of his upcoming retirement, and apparently has no plans to profit excessively from his experience.

In a year when the continued existence of the nation will be on the line in November, this California primary is somewhat irrelevant.  In the general election we will decide whether we turn back the years of abuse of the founders' vision, or allow the indolent and their enablers to continue to sap our spirit and resources, and lose us the respect and admiration of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home