Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dominus vobiscum

The TV used the last sentence of yesterday's EXTRA. Because it doesn't encompass the full thrust [oops] of my thinking on the matter, I offer the following.

I find it impossible to believe that besides celebrating the mass, writing the next sermon, eating, and sleeping, all that priests do is diddle children. As I observed in previous posts, the Catholic Church is governed by sin and guilt. What the priests are accused of doing must be one of those mortal sins. Child abuse is a despicable offense, and a man of God would suffer extreme guilt. No moral person could believe that prayer, even priestly supplication, could wipe away this sin.

Surely, a few rotten apples lurk in many barrels, but one has to suspect that many of the alleged victims here are either mistaken or lying. Just because the Catholic Church is the richest institution in the world doesn't excuse their abandonment of all priests by throwing money at the problem, which I don't believe is as wide-spread as it appears. I don't believe that thousands of priests disrespected their vows and violated common decency, and I am disappointed that the church of my childhood would fail to defend itself, especially at this time when all of Christendom is under attack.

1 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

You might view Capturing the Friedmans for some thoughts on these matters.

Christendom under attack? Puhleaze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home