Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Moral

One of the most disturbing aspects of the Gillian Gibbons story is the belated response of the British government. The first and foremost responsibility of any government is to protect its citizens, especially when they are besieged in foreign lands. The British Embassy in Khartoum has all but abandoned Ms Gibbons in a country where thousands of irrational religious zealots are screaming for her execution.

One of my favorite TV shows is "The Unit," which is a fictional depiction of an elite U.S. Army squad that rescues Americans from just such circumstances. If the British had such a group, Ms Gibbons would now be comfortably ensconced in her English home, enjoying bangers 'n mash, instead of being secreted away, along with her captors, in an undisclosed location.

I served in the U.S Army in France for fifteen months. I never felt uncomfortable for a moment. One day I was slowly driving home from the PX through a suburb of Orleans, when suddenly a young French girl, age 10-15, ran out, banged her hands on the hood of my Renault 4-CV, and dropped to the pavement. I judged it to be a scam when an observant passing GI told me, "Stay in the car; and I'll get the MPs." Suddenly, an MP and an interpreter appeared, and I was told, "Go home; we'll take care of it."

As I drove off, I could hear the interpreter making it clear to the girl and her assembled friends and relatives that they hadn't fooled the U.S Army. I never heard about the incident again.

All I ask of my government is to take care of me like that. Hopefully, when the British finish talking to the Sudanese, Ms Gibbons will feel the satisfaction I did.


EXTRA: Eleanor Clift of "The McLaughlin Group" finally got something right. She agreed that those silly holier-than-thou liberals who say Santa Claus is setting a bad example for children because of his weight, are wrong. She had better watch out, they may revoke her Brainwashed Liberal Membership Card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home