Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Clarification

On the occasion of the death of George Carlin, on a day when outside my door it smells like a campfire, and contemplating all the problems of the world, I am thinking about the vital importance of humor in life. If we stop laughing, we'll all turn into unhappy liberal politicians. We have to see the funny in everything, or morbidity will overcome us. It's like the story of the driver of the school bus for the disabled, who, when one of her charges fell, laughed; because, as she explained, "Otherwise we would all have to cry."

In this regard, I must make a slight correction to yesterday's post. When I find it convenient, I sometimes watch two reality-type TV shows, "The Last Comic Standing," and "America's Got Talent." Mostly because the summer doesn't offer any new drama shows or sit-coms, I seek good humor and well-conceived entertainment wherever it can be found. I do deplore, however, the exploitation of the obviously untalented, and I don't know why these shows feel the necessity to display their embarrassment on screen. The producers appear to be pandering to some latent meanness in human beings, but I apparently have sublimated that quality in my character, because my thought is, "Please only show me people who have a reasonable chance to make the finals. I refuse to laugh at anyone who has been encouraged to overestimate his ability."

I avoid the other 47 reality shows. (First time words in my blog: morbidity and sublimated.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home