Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, July 03, 2009

Sha na naa na, Sha na na na na

I submitted the following to the Sacramento Bee, but since I criticized the editor earlier, I don't expect it to be published. So, here it is in its only incarnation:

While reading your 7/2 story "Capital homeless call for campsites," I came upon the picture of the demonstrator wearing the colorful T-shirt which read, "Where am I supposed to live?" The first thing that came to mind was, why did someone waste valuable food money on an unnecessary piece of propagandized apparel? Then, I pondered the obvious answer to the shirt's question: Get a job, and buy or rent a home.

Before you are tempted to angrily remind me that we are in a down economy, and unemployment has hit a 26-year high, let me offer an alternate solution. The homeless could move into the White House with the man who, until now, has done little to alleviate their plight. He says he really cares about them, and they could show their appreciation by making themselves useful and walking his dog. He might even appoint one of them czar of something, like the Homeless Sartorial Commission. Just so they don't say anything if they catch him smoking, and they don't ask to be taken over and shown the place where Monica and Bill soiled that blue dress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home