Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, December 31, 2010

Life goes on? (Published in the E-R, 1/4)

You no doubt have noticed I haven't said much lately about the state of our nation. Well, a few things have gone right recently, and I fear a little less for the safety of you and yours.

However, I am filled with some dread for myself. The subject of death panels is still with us. Lurking in the dark recesses of government are some ghouls who believe they have the right to tell me whether I should live or die.

There was a time, not long ago, when my mortality was strictly a subject of discussion between me and my doctor. Even my loving family didn't have to be consulted, although I suspect I will ask for their input when I near the end, if I am capable.

What I know well is that I'll never need some government officials, who wish to protect their pensions, to decide whether or not my life is as important as their continued service and anticipated windfall at the end thereof.

My Happy New Year must include the repeal of death panels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home