Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Remember Pearl Harbor

Sixty-nine years ago today, it was my father's 40th birthday. It was a Sunday, and after we went to 11 o'clock Mass at St. Stephen's Church, mother served an early dinner, probably of chicken, which used to be considered a delicacy. The evening's entertainment was to be radio, starting at 7 p.m. I believe Sunday was The Jack Benny Program night. He was, of course, a comic genius.

However, when we turned on the Philco, we were greeted with the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor. In the days that followed, I was concerned that my father would have to go to war, but he assured me he wouldn't. At that time, I was unaware of his previous convoluted military service, but last night, I wondered if Uncle Sam ever tried to find him under the fictitious name which he never used again.

Not until the election of President Obama did I ever worry that my country might not keep me safe. This holiday season, you can enjoy their latest attempt by being groped at the airport. So far, most people don't believe that procedure is too invasive, but we must guard against further intrusion, lest we fail to remember Pearl Harbor.

SOMETHING I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T EXPRESS IN THE LOCAL COLLEGE TOWN MEDIA: A bicycle is a toy for children and people who act like children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home