Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Lube job

Since I took some of my first cars to Ted's Texaco at Hall St. and Eastern Ave., I thought I understood the concept of an "oil change" or a "lube job." It consisted of installing fresh oil and a new oil filter, and lubricating the chassis. However, it also came to include more than twenty other services, such as checking and topping off all other fluids, replacing air and fuel filters as needed, examining all safety features, and looking around for anything which might negatively impact the vehicle's performance in the future, and recommending what repairs should be made.

On Saturday, first born and I went to the capitol city for a dinner with about half of the immediate family. Halfway there, on the dashboard of my truck (which will be old enough to vote next year), a disturbing message which I didn't even know existed appeared, announcing I should seek service SOON. On the way back, the admonition reappeared followed by a diminution in performance, as the manual warns might possibly occur, but we were able to limp home.

Yesterday, I discovered that my 10-year old (but only 40,000 mile) air filter was severely clogged, and I am hoping its replacement will remedy the situation. During the "oil change" I bought less than a month ago, no one had bothered to look at the filter. It put me in mind of my last "oil change" soon after which my battery died because it was bone dry, and that part of the service hadn't been performed.

What has happened to conscientious auto mechanics? Haven't they ever experienced that nervous feeling out on the freeway when one worries their vehicle could strand them at any moment?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home