Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Syndicated Pulitzer winner?

My letter to the editor about Cynthia Tucker, whose expressions of racism outstrip those of the KKK, will appear here, if and when it is published. In the meantime, I will cover the one last insulting quote from her latest screed that I forgot to discredit.

She said, "They [older white Americans] are stuck with the long-held notions about such things as gay marriage and interracial dating." Being old and white, I had allowed myself to be offended by her other prejudicial character assassinations, but I neglected to mention this attack on the First Amendment.

Long-held convictions are usually religious in nature, and any attempt to restrict them is clearly unconstitutional. Even those who cannot cite a rational reason for their position are free to hold it. That freedom extends to the very edge of the moment when it negatively impacts the behavior of others, and Ms Tucker is impertinent to presuppose that I or anyone else will cross that line. I fault her, therefore, for attempting to paint me and all other older white Americans with her racist brush.

AND: Gloria Cain for first lady. Not once during her Fox interview did she tell us what to eat.

MORE: "Gay News" wasn't shown this weekend, because it is pledge week, and I suspect its audience is too small to generate a large enough number of contributions. 25% indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home