Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Boxing Day

I could research and tell you all about Boxing Day, but I have no readers in the UK or Canada, so who cares? Instead,

FYI: In California, during a traffic enforcement stop, you should acknowledge the officer's presence by turning on your right turn signal. You must not allow the officer to "become alarmed. . . [or] perceive that you have a reason to avoid yielding or that you might be impaired."* Who knew?

The same document (see * below) announces a new word which it has created: "sharrows," which are shared lane pavement markings used to remind drivers that bicycling is allowed. Apparently, my opinion that a bicycle is a children's toy and not a means of transportation is not universally held. I suppose I should be especially careful not to appear impaired lest the officer's interrogation turn to a discussion of two-wheeled vehicles. (I'm not a fan of motorcycles either.)

*Driver Handbook, Department of Motor Vehicles 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home