Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, January 07, 2013

NOT RECOMMENDED

Yesterday, I watched the first annoying hour of the self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing two hour documentary called "The Making of 'The Hunger Games.'"  Everyone appeared on camera, from the script writer-director to the guy who cleaned up after the horses.  (Actually, there were no horses.)  To listen to them, the film was as influential  as the Bible and sliced bread, wrapped up together in a sort of messiah sandwich.

It isn't.

Without discussing all the child-like plot elements which degenerated into an unrealistic view of human life, the story, for me, went south almost immediately.  Twenty-four young people (why only young people?) were chosen to fight each other on TV until twenty-three were dead.  To insure only one survived, the Obama-like government did most of the killing with various booby-traps.  I never understood why the heroine didn't kill anyone to forestall their attacking her.  I would have had her push some of them off the train to the contest venue.  Of course, the contrived ending was very depressing.  I'm not bloodthirsty;  I just prefer realistic, predictable, self-preservationist human behavior.

ALSO I was blown away by the look of "The Adventures of Tintin," but much like "The Hunger Games," the plot was intended for children, and therefore, quite unengaging.  For different reasons, both failed to arouse my emotions.

The third film of my weekend, "M I 4," didn't even try.  Strike three.

AT NOON on Christmas Day, on  my way to the capitol city, I had occasion to visit a highway rest stop.  Entering the men's room, I encountered a pleasant young man preparing to sweep and mop.  That someone was willing to work on a holiday and not complain, reaffirmed some of my belief in the goodness of man.  I should have added a gift to my words of good cheer, but I was somewhat amazed.  .  .  someone actually cleans public restrooms.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

"The Hunger Games" was a missed opportunity. Well-made, with good acting, but kind of dull overall.

The best film from a children's book series was "A Series of Unfortunate Events." The script was a melding of the first three books in the series, giving it a nice story arc, instead of trying to hook you into watching the sequel(s) as "The Hunger Games" did.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I could walk into any college (possibly high school)drama department and find a girl who could act as well as Katniss (I thought it was Catnip), despite the director's glowing description of her work. Give me a couple of hours.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I forgot: Throughout the film I thought that Stanley Tucci in his makeup was Adrian Pasdar. Think about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home