Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, June 16, 2006

Opinion

It is gratifying that some ordinary citizens who write letters to editors exhibit clear thinking and express those thoughts well. Today's example is a response (edited) to an editorial written in that newspaper I read.

"[I] take exception to the column's inference that because I oppose gay marriage, I am both a bigot and a fool. . . . Standing up for one's beliefs does not a bigot make. I am not a homophobe. I do not hate homosexuals, but I do believe deviant behavior should not be legitimized by the sanctity of marriage.

"I am told I must be tolerant. . . by. . . those [who] are themselves intolerant of me. How about a little tolerance for decency, or have we allowed our tolerance to replace our integrity?"

(ed -- Good Americans don't call each other bigots.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home