Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Vote

I have mailed in my absentee ballot, and kept my perfect voting record intact. Occasionally, I have a day when going out is difficult, and I didn't want to take the chance I might fail to fulfill my duty.

I cast my ballot for many fine Republican candidates, omitting only one who had campaigned in my area by handing out cash to people who were purchasing gasoline. He said he wanted to help them out with the high prices. Because it looked for all the world like he was trying to buy votes, I sent him an e-mail asking for a better explanation. He did not respond. I could not, in good faith, however, vote for any of his opponents, especially the Democrat.

It was important that I did not vote for any Democrats, not so much because they were poor choices, but that their election might contribute to the Democrats' gaining control of Congress. That would be a bad outcome, because many Democrats currently in Congress are committed to taking our country down the wrong road.

There were also (an unlucky) l3 state ballot issues -- five initiatives, five bond issues, and three proposed constitutional amendments. All of these should have been introduced in the Legislature, and my elected representatives should have, if appropriate, enacted them. Apparently, they were not appropriate, so I voted no. In regard to those which asked for more money, I continue to ask, "What are you doing with the taxes you now collect? Couldn't you re-allocate those funds to alleviate these allegedly crucial concerns?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home