Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, November 02, 2007

For posterity

There are two political mistakes I made in my life of which I am not proud. First, in the sixth grade, when the name of President Harry S Truman was mentioned, childishly, I booed. I can't recall why I thought that was appropriate, but I was wrong. Truman and Ronald Reagan are now acknowledged to have been the best Presidents of the twentieth century. Second, in 1972, I voted for Richard Nixon, although I could have voted for John Schmitz, a fine American Independent Party candidate for President. I rejected Schmitz only because a third party candidate has never had a chance, and the Democratic candidate, George McGovern, was the first truly dangerous liberal.

Today, I introduce you to Mike Bagwell of Chico, California. I am going to memorialize his embarrassing political mistake here, where it will rattle around the internet in perpetuity. I hope in 40-50 years he or his family will come to regret that, in a letter to the editor, he called President George W. Bush, ". . . the most corrupt, incompetent, unpopular and indeed un-American president in our history. . . "

Personal abuse is never appropriate, and published attacks on the President in time of war border on treason. How more un-American can that be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home