Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Clara

A gentle soul has gone to her eternal rest. A former distant relative is gone after 94 years of fighting the good fight. She passed on in her sleep, shortly after she had been hospitalized for a fractured pelvis. I will stop now, before I use any more euphemisms and platitudes, and simply say, "Goodbye."


EXTRA: I take issue with the dictionary. I believe I was justified in being confused by the words "complimentary" and "complementary." I was using the word to describe an item which is proffered free of charge. I chose the latter word. It seems to me the concept of "making someone more complete" is more appropriate than an expression of "honor." After all, there is no guarantee that because something is free, it has any value. However, the dictionary does acknowledge that the "e" word is an obsolete form of the "i" word. I have been unfairly accused of several things lately, but I certainly don't want to be called an obsolescent grammarian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home