Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, April 21, 2008

On Sunday

As I was perusing the Sacramento Bee for the definitive letter I had written to the editor, I paused to read my favorite humor columnist, Gene Weingarten. It turns out he is an avowed liberal, the one person of that ilk with a sense of humor. Bill O'Reilly, whom he describes as a "humorless, sputtering, self-righteous scold," had objected to being the target of Weingarten's wit. O'Reilly is that rare humorless conservative. Those of us happy conservatives particularly enjoyed Weingarten's apology, "To Ann Coulter, whom I once compared in a column to Erszebet Bathory, the l6th-century noblewoman who killed her servant girls and bathed in their blood as a skin-care therapy, I sincerely apologize. That comparison was unfair. You are much taller."

Politics, notwithstanding, Weingarten is funny, unlike liberal grumps such as Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and Teddy Kennedy, who can only force a smile after six or seven drinks. My letter was not published, even though it solved the Olympics dilemma and gave the key to ending racism. Damn liberal newspaper. (I'll post it here, if you ask.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home