Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gotta match?

Expanding on yesterday's reminiscence, there were also five-and-dime stores (Woolworth's, Kresge's [now K-Mart] and Grant's) which sold goods, the purveyance of which was usurped by the supermarkets, such as cleaning products, and items for personal grooming and hygiene. These stores were "downtown," and a special trip had to be undertaken every week or two.

Moving on, last night I learned that Bill Gates and Michael Bloomberg have joined the ranks of the holier-than- thou, and are investing a part of their vast fortunes in the effort to eradicate smoking. I stopped smoking eight years ago, because it seemed to be the thing to do, but it's a completely legal activity, and I resent anyone telling me I CAN'T smoke. I also repudiate class envy, but that doesn't mean rich people should be allowed to intrude in my personal life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home