Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Comedy

I spent my childhood in a medium-sized city in Michigan. My friends and I regularly talked about "moving to the big city when we grew up." For me, I believe that was New York City, because that's the home of the Metropolitan Opera. Unfortunately, the closest I came to that was to make the acquaintance of Russell Christopher, a young man who studied with my voice teacher; and, later, had a long career singing small roles as a member of the Met chorus.

Meanwhile, I have lived and worked in a series of small and medium-sized cities. So much for the dreams of youth. Also, as a result, I was never aware that, apparently, on every corner in "the big city," there is a venue for stand-up comedians. . . judging by the thousands who have appeared on TV's "The Last Comic Standing." Even more disappointing is the fact that my two favorites so far, Carmen Lynch and a young man whose name I vowed to remember, but have forgotten, have already been eliminated; and what's the chance I will ever go to any big city to see them again at one of that plethora of comedy clubs?

2 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

I have been to the comedy club and seen them, and the edited routines on Last Comic Standing are more entertaining.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

Smut is rarely funny. Clever is funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home