Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

CNN

Because the recent election was so satisfactory, I have been able to rest easier about the possibility of impending financial doom; and because I now have the Dish Network, I have been allotting an inordinate amount of blogging time to surfing the hundreds of channels available. For instance, two shows are particularly addictive and surprisingly entertaining. One involves the sale at auction of abandoned storage units, an activity which was part of my employment for 11 years, and another in which young people (many of them age 25-35) buy houses valued at $300,000 or more in a down economy. I really envy them the beautiful homes in scenic and exotic locations which I have never been able to afford. I have apparently developed covetousness in my old age.

Yesterday, in passing, I stopped at CNN for the first time. One has to be brain dead to go there deliberately, but I was struck by a teaser about how French President Nicolas Sarkozy has suddenly grown a pair, and is demonstrating a surprising strength of character which they attribute to his desire to be re-elected. I say it's a result of a general French resistance to that abominable law outlawing smoking in bars and restaurants. If you've been there lately, tell me: Have the French actually paid any attention to that nonsense?

Before I saw that segment, however, I had to suffer through Wolf Blitzer (Lie: real name Schlomo Lipshitz) interviewing two members of Congress, one from each party. He repeatedly asked the childish question. "Do you think it's fair that GE pays no taxes?" Both Congressmen deftly avoided responding to such ignorance, for which, of course, canis lupus provided no corroboration, and he was finally obliged mercifully to move on. I doubt he has given a moment's thought to the fact that GE, its subsidiaries and corporate partners, provide millions of jobs for American workers, and that he could also share in the largess by merely buying a few shares of GE stock. Liberals have their own brand of covetousness which includes not only envying their betters but yearning to punish them for being successful.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kurt said...

Real name: Wolf Isaac Blitzer

In November 2002, he won the American Veteran Awards' Ernie Pyle Journalism Award for military reporting. Blitzer won an Emmy Award for his coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing. Blitzer was also part of the CNN team that was awarded a Golden ACE award for their 1991 Gulf War reporting.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I know; I read Wikipedia too. I warned you it as a lie. That segment still identified him, however, as a mind-numbed liberal. Blah, blah, blah rich people; blah, blah, blah evil corporations, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home