Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, February 14, 2011

Yes, I do sometimes turn it off

Three other issues have grabbed my attention:

1. First born keeps reminding me that when cable TV first arrived in the mid-to-late 70's, there were no commercials, because you had to PAY for the service. Now, almost 90% of us have cable or satellite, and somehow, along the way, even though we still pay for them, these services are infested with commercials. And now it's government mandated. It could make me angry, if I allowed it.

2. The United States sends billions of dollars around the world for "Development Aid." Egypt alone receives over half a billion of them each year. I wonder how many Egyptians are risking their lives in our War on Terror. I have noticed they didn't help us with Katrina, or send personnel to support us in Haiti or Chile, where we rushed to assist. Now, in their recent uprising, the signs they are carrying are in English. They want to be sure to let their good American friends know that they are going to need even more free money.

3. It seems our mild winter may revert to form with the arrival of the wind and rain that started today, but I always refrain from talking about the weather, because there's nothing I or you or Algore and other global warming wonks can do about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home