Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, January 21, 2011

My street light

Almost eight years ago, we moved here to the country, two miles west of a pleasant little town with few amenities, but teeming with nice, politically conservative people. Across the road from our new digs, there was a street light, a bright beacon in the darkness. . . the only one for at least a mile in any direction. It was comforting. . . convenient. . . illuminating, because its light spilled over the road onto our driveway.

The light was on the shoulder, adjacent to our neighbor's property atop a tall, sturdy cement tower. Suddenly, however, two or three weeks after we arrived, the light went out.

In the interest of public safety (tinged with some nostalgia for the halogen pleasure I had enjoyed), I called Pacific Gas and Electric who told me the light had been extinguished because the bill hadn't been paid. Let's see. . . the pole is on county land, and the light illuminates a county road, so the county was delinquent in its payment, right? Wrong!

I was told that the previous owners of our property had always paid the bill, and if I wanted the light to continue to brighten my night, I would have to assume that financial responsibility.

So, for all these months I have added $11-12 to each of my household power payments. To be fair, twice, when the light went out, PG&E speedily remedied the problem (probably a burned-out lamp), at no additional cost. However, I can't dismiss the nagging suspicion that no other private citizen funds his own street light. Have I been snookered?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home