Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Watch out?

Recently, AT&T insisted upon giving me a new, small, self-contained, hand-held electronic device which takes pictures, and, parenthetically, makes phone calls. I come from a time when a telephone was a black, two-part, bakelite instrument, consisting of a larger part which was attached to the wall by an insulated, cloth-covered wire, and a smaller portion which was connected to the aforementioned "base" by a shorter wire.

My family's first phone number was 89413. That was actually more than the three digits popular in Mayberry, but then, we lived in a town of over 100,000. Because of that, our number eventually grew to CHerry 89413. I don't recall when an area code was added, because I had been to college and the Army, and off to three other States by then.

As I write this, I am looking at a murder victim on TV's Criminal Minds taking a picture of herself with her cellphone, and inadvertently capturing the image of her soon-to-be killer lurking behind her. And now, I have one of those phones.

Should I be looking behind? . . . arghh. . . .

UPON FURTHER REFLECTION: The number may have been 34581. One of those numbers was the one at Busi's family compound. (I guess I survived.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home