Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, April 12, 2007

The husband did it.

Recently, on TV, I saw a movie which doesn't review well, but I, with my weird sense of humor, found quite humorous. It was "Drowning Mona," and it was a routine murder investigation with one twist, which I still chuckle about. Everyone in the small New York town, where the story was set, drove a Yugo.

The Yugo was a poorly engineered automobile (which my grandmother would have described [in Polish] as a cat without a tail). It was manufactured by a government factory in Yugoslavia, a country which no longer exists. It was a former Soviet Republic which was a federation of six people's republics: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Hercegovina, Macedonia, Slovenia, and Montenegro. Apparently, the Communists tried to do their best to promote world peace, because they expected people of diverse ethnicities who were suspicious and envious of each other to live together in harmony. Sadly, it didn't work, and they are separate countries again.

In the film, there was a proliferation of Yugos of many colors and in various stages of repair. Even the police department had an official brown Yugo, an underpowered econo-box. We can only hope they never had to chase an out-of-towner. My interest was divided, because I was following the story; therefore, I will have to see it again to verify that, in fact, as I hope, nobody drove anything but a Yugo. Now that's funny.

2 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

I wonder how they kept them all running.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

Duct tape?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home