Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, August 23, 2007

P- BS

The last couple of days, I have watched more PBS than is usually prudent. I enjoyed a special about a man who reunited with his estranged father in Alaska, with heart-warming results, and an entertaining program about penguins. The global warming propaganda was gentle, and the penguin show even conceded that men "may" be causing the problem.

Then, last night, at bedtime, I caught the beginning of the Charlie Rose show, and I had to watch when I heard the words, "abolished the school board." This will require much more research, but it prompted the thought, "What is going on in New York City?"

The interviewee was the school czar who copiously thanked Mayor Bloomberg for his job. He admitted he had no background in education, but he has been closing "poor" schools and opening "better" ones. He appears to be intelligent, well-spoken and slick. I wonder what he's up to.

However, my immediate reaction was that the government had usurped another right of the people. What I am hearing here is that parents are too stupid to know what is best for their children, and they can't be trusted to oversee their education. So, the holier-than-thou have removed the people's authority, the school board, and are now dictating by the will of the government. This smells bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home