Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, September 14, 2007

The chickification of America

I'm the only one at my house who does dishes. No, it's not marriage; there's a good reason. I just never thought, when I was young, that someday I'd be a housewife.

It all started in the '60s when women's lib raised its ugly head. My father had never washed dishes. He went to work every day and gave my mother all the money. She did the housework and raised me. She knew her place.

Not long after I was married. the "liberation" took full effect. Suddenly, working every day and giving the wife all the money was not enough. I never did learn my place, and divorce ensued. I quickly realized that marriage was not my destiny.

Now, partly as a result of my marriage, I am washing all the dishes. I hope Dad doesn't know. He would laugh at my plight. His was a different, less stressful time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home