Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, March 14, 2008

Call now

There is a new ad on TV for the "Shamwow," a towel-like product that appears to have magical properties. It soaks up copious amounts of fluid, and is a mere $19.95US.

Three things about the ad amuse me. First, I have now seen the tape twice, at different times on successive days, and the pitchman says,"Call in the next twenty minutes, because we can't offer this all day." Then he says that it's made in Germany, and that means it has to be superior. I suppose he means to imply that because BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes are fine automobiles, everything German is of the highest quality.

However, it's the name that is the most offputting. Shouldn't it be "Chamwow," meaning an amazing chamois? Doesn't the word Sham- suggest there's something phony about it? I'll wait until you buy one, and report to me. I'll write down the phone number for you the next time I see it.

1 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

I read an article that said most of the quality products we associate with European countries did not come out of long traditions but were developed after World War II to stimulate their economies. Talk about great marketing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home