Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Goodbye, Jorge?

The good news is that my emails appeared on TV every day this week. The bad news is that, more increasingly, I am being edited. When I write two or three sentences, every word counts, and deleting some of them can change the meaning. One day, I pointed that out to the anchors, but yesterday they did it again.

I began my serious July 4th comment about patriotism with, "Patriotism is not something you think or say, but something you do. The highest forms are public service and military deployment." Then they deleted the several things I suggested other citizens could do, and substituted them with my snarky comment about Jorge Smirnoff you read here yesterday, although I had submitted it separately and in parentheses.

I realize they want to stir up some ratings-building controversy (they said that directly once), but I'm beginning the feel they want me to be the bad guy. Jorge is the one who hates our country, and continuously bad-mouths our leaders, and pointing it out, just encourages him to repeat the offending behavior. Do you suppose I should leave Jorge alone to stew in his own bile?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home