Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life gets better

The wonder of DVDs is growing. Each day I discover films that I was afraid I would never see again. It started late last year when I bought "Attack," the 1956 film version of the fine Broadway show, "Fragile Fox," starring four fine character actors -- Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, Eddie Albert and Buddy Ebsen, and a tank. At Christmas, "The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox" (1976) crossed my path. That fun comic Western stars George Segal and Goldie Hawn, and an educated horse. Now, I have found "Gates of Heaven (1978)," not to be confused with the much maligned "Heaven's Gate (1981)." These gates are ones to pet cemeteries, and this "documentary. . . has become an underground legend, a litmus test for audiences who cannot decide if it is serious or satirical, funny or sad, sympathetic or mocking." I remember laughing, as I am wont to do. I await its arrival.

Now, I am looking for "Trial (1955)," a courtroom drama starring Glenn Ford and Arthur Kennedy, and "Wild River (1960)," with the mesmerizing Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick.

2 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

You discovered DVDs just as they are being purged from the universe to make way for Blu-Rays.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I still have two DVD players (one of which may or may not work), and I'm considering buying a DVD recorder (with a digital tuner).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home