Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, July 06, 2009

Sometimes sarcasm is funny

I hereby cap off my long weekend of sarcasatic blogs with the letter I had published in the Chico E-R on Sunday. I hope the Farleys, who probably sincerely believe they are saving the world, will read it in its entirety, and appreciate its intent, which was a legitimate, if not somewhat smart-aleck, dissent. If they demur in some later edition, I will respectfully offer them one of my non-apologies, such as, "I'm sorry you were offended."

"While reading Francis X. Farley's letter Wednesday about the evils of carbon dioxide, I thought, for a moment, that when he referenced his wife, he was going to say she had decided to stop breathing. After all, the vast majority of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere comes from the exhalation of billions around the world.

"Farley's garden notwithstanding, the only permanent solution to reducing the amount of that gas that may or may not have a significant effect on the environment is to reduce the number of people inhabiting the earth. Fewer people will also need fewer amenities, and we might even return to the quality of life our ancestors knew when they all rode horses and burned wood to fulfill most of their needs. When Farley and his wife have a viable plan for reducing the population, I hope they will write in again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home