Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, April 25, 2011

It must be truly gratifying to know you are saving the world

When the E-R went around asking, "How green are you?" at an Earth Day event, how surprising could it have been that the People on the Street (4/24) responded with expressions of pride about how self-satisfying and "above average" their contribution to society is? [It probably makes them feel all warm and fuzzy.]

My own "greenness" is somewhat less demonstrative and self-aggrandizing. I recycle aluminum cans because I want to recoup some of their cost to me. I divide my discards into garbage and possible recyclables, because I have two containers, and it's no big imposition to do so, although I am not convinced that it all doesn't just end up in the same landfill or the ocean.

I quit smoking [many years ago], not out of concern for the environment, but, selfishly, for my own health. I cannot afford solar panels, and T. Boone Pickens exploded the myth about windmills. I would not consider driving a converted golf cart or some little kiddie car, and I keep remembering that the electricity to power such vehicles is created by burning coal, natural gas, and/or petroleum, so what's the point?

I believe that supermarkets were created for convenience, and they should continue to provide paper bags for carrying purchases. I usually eat food which the latest science recommends, but it is difficult when the "current intelligence" changes all the time.

I do not wish to return to the 19th Century, a time before bicycles became children's toys, and were a mode of transportation, and I'm too old to ride a horse.

FYI: A BK chicken sandwich costs $3.59. With a coupon and the purchase of a small drink and fries, you get the sandwich FREE. The drink and fries are $1.59 each, plus $.26 tax. That's $3.44, when all you really want is the sandwich. Whoopee. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home