Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11

Yesterday, to increase newspaper circulation and TV viewing, the state-controlled media wallowed in pity and repeatedly asked what we have learned from the tragic attack. . . ten years later, as though we had never considered it before.

That question took me back to my childhood. I remember catechism, the Catholic version of Sunday school. It was there that I was told that Catholicism was the only "real" religion, and by implication, that anyone who did not embrace it might be deprived of the glory of heaven. I was admonished not to set foot in any building housing a religion other than Catholicism without special dispension. When my high school choir went to sing at a Protestant church, I didn't ask any priest for permission, but, as a result of the experience, I neither felt damned to hell nor in the presence of evil. The members of the host church didn't seek me out for disapproval, and at that young age, I learned about accceptance. I decided to respect all those who lead moral lives, and I try to emulate them.

After 9/11, however, I learned that Islam is governed by a written tract that can be interpreted to say that all "infidels" (of which I am apparently one) must either embrace their faith or be put to the sword. Because some of the adherents have already acted upon it, I have become wary of the members of that one religion. I don't like that feeling, and if I prayed, I would ask God to change their minds.

3 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

Leviticus 24:13-16:

Then the LORD said to Moses: “Take the blasphemer outside the camp. All those who heard him are to lay their hands on his head, and the entire assembly is to stone him. Say to the Israelites: ‘Anyone who curses their God will be held responsible; anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Kurt said...

Deuteronomy 17:3-5

If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant, and hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel: Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

So that excuses 9/11?

When did you become a biblical scholar? What's your take on creation? What about evolution? What about other fiction?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home