Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Input"

Recently, the Sacramento Bee, a second-tier, provincial newspaper, fired its editor, citing that he was "not taking the paper in the right direction," whatever that means. We got a hint, when he accepted other employment as an "immigration activist," whatever that is.

The new editor has done little except ask the staff, readers and business leaders what to do, in long, rambling regular articles. Because she asked for "input," I wrote her a letter suggesting that leadership involves coming to the job knowing what to do, and, subsequently, directing people to do it. She responded with a snippy (snappy, snipy) email which, although it was more concise than her previous writings, told me to mind my own business; that that was not her definition of leadership.

Isn't it curious how so many people who invite constructive criticism, don't really want it? I think it's all a part of the liberal ethos: "Tell me what you think. . . as if I care. I'm right; I'm always right."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home