Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A basketful of puppies

Recently, I received a letter addressed by a loved one to "Angry Old Man." I plead guilty to being an old man. In fact, that was confirmed by a happening which occurred when I was in rehab for a broken hip. As I was rolling down the hall in my wheelchair, I passed by a two-man room, and I heard one old gentleman ask the other, "Who was that?" The response was, "Just some old man," and I instantly aged precipitously and gained a new name. In all fairness, the responder was the youngest inmate in the facility, who was there only because each day he had to ask someone where his room was.

However, I am not angry. Each day, when I awake, happy to be alive, I ask myself, "What can I do to make the world a better place?" I am comforted that I live in a wonderful country populated with millions of fine people. However, there a few Americans who have lost the spirit, and my contribution is to point them out and encourage their reformation.

To this end, I post here and contact newspapers and television. Most of the people with whom I take issue may be characterized as angry and hate-filled. There are school administrators who attack teachers, and teachers who frighten children. There are the politicians who lied about President Bush, and one Senator who is still trying to destroy the career of a specific private citizen. There are disgruntled losing voters who want to disrupt American life. And is there any legitimate excuse to continue to attempt to embarrass Sarah Palin, or enjoy the suffering of O.J. Simpson?

I'm concerned about the growing number of haters and criminals with whom the President-elect has and still does associate. I'm disturbed that Walmart has eliminated the hyphen, preparatory to the change of the name of our nation to The United States of Walmart (only Guinea-Bissau is hyphenated, and it's so third world). I question science regularly, but in a friendly manner, and my favorite commenter has taught me that science is unconcerned with proof. Does that mean that my medicine may or may not be good for me, but I should take it anyway?

My favorite literary milieu is humor, but I'm not Mel Brooks, so I frequently wax serious, but if something sounds satiric or sarcastic, it probably is. Not to be offended, though, because I try very hard not to be offended, and you should emulate me. (See. . . that's sarcasm.) Now laugh or I'll get angry. (Oops, I did it again.)

3 Comments:

At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for medicine, the evidence suggests that it will PROBABLY help you. That is all a medical trial can establish. It cannot PROVE that it definitely will help you. It is all probability and statistics.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

The word "bullshit" also comes to mind. But now I'm back to the subject of space travel.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No..really. That is how it works.

Basically the way a drug trial works is as follows.. (numbers simplified for ease of use)

100 patients are split into two groups of 50.

Group A is given a placebeo (a sugar pill or something similar)

Group B is given the drug under trial.

Importantly, neither the doctor NOR the patient know who is in each group.

The outcome of each group is then recorded.

IF the %age of people who get better in group B is (statistically significantly) better than the %age of people who get better in group A, then the drug is considered to be useful.

Now, in the placebo group, SOME people will get better.. that is a strange thing about humans, we get better if we believe we should..

BUT if the drug is useful, then MORE people on the drug will get better than people who are not on the drug.

It is, however VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY (get the idea?) that 100% of the people who take the drug will get better.. so, all that drug trials can tell us is a probability of how effective the drug will be.


[Note: I have pretended that drugs are side effect free, because that makes it easier. If you are interested in how they determine if a drug is "safe", that is a different question.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home