Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Gaudeamus igitur

My parents sent me to college. Costs were less then, but so was my father's salary. I have no idea what it cost, because they felt it was their responsibility, and I didn't ask. I did work some short-term jobs several summers for "walking-around" money. So, a few fast food meals, a few cigarettes, and a few years later, I was prepared to support myself, and still later, my own family.

Twenty years later, two of my children wanted to go to college. By that time, grants and loans were available, but I knew it was still my responsibility to help them gain their degree(s), and I provided them with whatever education funds they requested.

I believe that parental responsibility dictates that mothers and fathers should still finance that portion of their children's education they cannot cover themselves. Just as in my own case, if my parents had not sent me, and I could not have earned or borrowed enough money, I wouldn't have been able to go to college. That's life.

Ultimately, college educations are the students' responsibility, but if parents made the mistake of having them before insuring they could properly care for them, I regret to say that's their shame.

Now, along comes President Obama. He says, "Let the government loan you the money your irresponsible parents have failed to provide, and you can't or won't earn. You can pay us back later, but in the meantime, we own you. By the way, we want you to study math and science, and there will be regular standardized tests. Don't forget to acknowledge the superiority of foreign govenments and cultures, and stay away from nonsense like philosophy, the arts and, God forbid, religion. What we really need are doctors who are willing to work for the mere pittance Obamacare is going to offer after the private insurance companies have been forced out."

2 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Kurt said...

When the parents of the class of 2010 had their kids (1992), they had no way of knowing that college tuition would increase exponentially. They figured it would be about the same relative to other costs.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Don, American Idle said...

I have to maintain that essentially they are about the same. Shouldn't a reasonable professional be earning at least $100,000? Remember those highly paid school janitors? The money's out there, Scully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home