Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Real talent

I'm a big fan of '50-'60s Italian films.  Several of them are in my list of top ten favorites, and I would estimate that they comprise at least half of my top 20-30.

Therefore, surprisingly, I recently saw "L'Avventura" (1960) for the first time.  Well, actually, I saw about half of it, because I'm old and had to go to bed before its 145 minutes had run.  (I really must learn to program the timer on my DVD recorder, despite the daunting 100 page manual.)

IMDb comments suggest that the story demonstrates the amorality of the privileged class, because when one of their number disappears while the group is frolicking on a rocky island, her best friend and her lover get together while looking for her.  I suspect after they leave the island together, they forget her completely.  It certainly seems to be the appropriate ending that I'll have to view later.

The point is, the unfaithful friend is portrayed by Monica Vitti, and I would suggest that she is the most appealing woman who ever appeared on film.  Not only stunningly attractive, she can also act.  Be warned, however, her IMDb main photo does not do her justice.  Investigate others, while forgetting she is 80 now.

I WAS SURPRISED how much nudity there is in "The Last Picture Show" (1971).  Haven't I seen it before?  I wonder how "critically acclaimed" it would have been without it.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home