Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#1001, a movie review

I was five years old in 1939, probably the finest year of  filmmaking ever.  I am only now catching up on some of the interesting work that was produced that year.  Recently, I saw "Five Came Back," and despite the fact that the ending was no surprise, I found it quite entertaining.  One of my favorite character actors, Joseph Calleia, had one of the longer roles, perhaps the longest of his career.  His Maltese swarthiness was perfect for his portrayal of a criminal with morals who eventually became the protagonist.  Never fear, you don't see the head hunters;  it was enough to know they were out there.

Lucille Ball, before she turned loopy, and Chester Morris, before he became Boston Blackie were also in the cast, as well as Sir C. Aubrey Smith and John Carradine, the patriarch.  It was directed by Mia Farrow's dad who, I read, remade it in 1956 as "Back From Eternity," with Robert Ryan, Rod Steiger and a very mediocre supporting cast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home