Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, November 12, 2012

Second class

I realize it's not the fault of the Obama administration, but because the election has rendered me moody and unhappy, I must express my disappointment. now, on the occasion of Veterans' Day, with the fact that I am considered a second-class veteran.

The period between the end of the Korean conflict and the Vietnam War is designated as the Cold War, and persons such as I, who served in the Army then, are ineligible for at least two veterans' benefits I know of, which I could now use  --  a monthly stipend to help with long-term care, and burial in a military cemetery.

Apparently, the fact that I wasn't shot at during my service is the deal breaker, even though I was posted less than 600 miles from Berlin with its infamous wall, and possibly teeming with neo-Nazis.  On many occasions I was obliged to walk the streets of France in my military uniform, which, I maintain, said, "If you hate Americans, here's one you can shoot,"*  Yet, no full benefits for me.

You don't suppose President Obama cares, do you?  How about those California liberals who voted to allow union leaders to disrespect their members by failing to ask them how they want their political dollars spent?

*DON'T MISUNDERSTAND:  Every French person I encountered (except one small group of drunken paratroopers) was charmingly polite and helpful.  However, I did hear that Elvis and others stationed in Germany were always on alert (armed and ready).  But it was the "Cold War."

RECOMMENDED:  "An Unfinished Life' (2005) starring Morgan Freeman, Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez (the second most attractive woman in the movies), and a bear.  Only one scene was too maudlin, and although the plot was predictable, the dialogue was crisply competent.  And did I tell you, there was a bear?  I love bears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home