Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, October 15, 2012

RIP

I went to high school and junior college with Jack Clifford.  He was my best friend.  I now know I wasn't his, and today he is the wealthy snob who created the Food Channel and a large chunk of other cable media.  Today, you can hire him as a consultant, but he doesn't want to talk to me.

Conversely, my other celebrity contact died recently.  Before he was a popular actor, emcee, and commercial spokeman, Gary Collins (1938-2012) served in the Army with me.  We acted in a play together, and hung out like buddies.   When he returned to California he married 1959 Miss America, Mary Ann Mobley, who now survives him.  I knew him as a really nice guy.  I would like to imagine that if I had contacted him, he would have remembered fondly, and not treated me like Jack did.

THE OLDER I GET, the faster the time passes.  I bought two tires eight years ago, and two more two years later.  I drove only 20,000 miles on the two older ones, but when one developed a bubble, the tire guy convinced first born to replace all of them.  Eight years ago seems like only yesterday.  I don't even remember  checking the air pressure.  Of course, because of liberal waste, the price has more than doubled.

FYI:  Credit for unused tread only applies to tires that MUST be replaced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home