Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Oops

I have supported the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation since the mid-seventies when they represented some teacher colleagues and me against the California Teachers Association which was violating the the law by trying to collect excessive dues from non-members who only received one of their services.  By 1980, the Foundation had achieved temporary success, but when the CTA reneged, they represented another group from a district with a name similar to ours, and won again.

I sent them a contribution.

A few years ago, I added the Foundation to my electronic mail, and I find they are still hard at work.  Every one of their letters mentions how they need contributions.  .  .  even $10 would be nice,  With the unions being in President Obama's pocket, the Foundation is really busy representing workers who are forced to join unions, and whose dues are used to finance politicians they don't support.

This February I sent a $100 contribution.

Last month, some teachers in Washington state were being oppressed, so I sent another $100.  That made it the largest one-year contribution I had ever made to any one deserving group. 

This month I received a letter asking for $1,000.  Apparently, I am now on the "sharks" list.  Like many such big-time players in Vegas do, the Foundation overplayed its hand, especially when they said that if I couldn't afford $1,000, $500 would be OK.  If I had $500 I'd send a little more to some of my regulars:  Mono Lake, St. Jude's Hospital, the Arbor Day Foundation, the VFW, the Salvation Army, and the local volunteer fire department.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home