Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Friday, November 02, 2012

Voting

On my recent ballot there were eleven initiatives.  They are how the people of California are allowed to pass laws the legislators were too lazy or incompetent to contemplate.  I maintain I elected them to do the job, and I object to having to do it myself.

Therefore, I voted "yes" on only one of the propositions.  It dealt with an issue that I have been fighting since the mid-seventies.  Despite my victorious lawsuit and numerous others, unions continue to use part of their dues to finance political persons and causes with which not all payers agree.  ONCE AGAIN this proposition will try to make them stop this  improper behavior.  Thirty-five-plus-years is long enough.

With the ten remaining propositions I voted "no" on seven of them.  Most of those raised the taxes which my legislators didn't have the guts to enact, because they didn't want  us to remember how they squandered the money we had already given them.  The final three I left blank.  One sought to abolish the death penalty, and although, like abortion, it's a sin, I suspect it might be a deterrent, so I am conflicted when asked to make a decision.

My second blank proposition tried to tell auto insurance companies how to determine their rates.  I object to government interfering in private enterprise.  It's certainly not my business.  Companies differ, and I'm free to buy any policy I like.

Finally, an earlier proposition which I opposed, created a commission to replace the legislators for redistricting.  Others objected , but the state supreme court refused.  I respect that decision, and ignored this latest attempt to circumvent the court.

NOTE TO SELF:  To avoiding Walmart, add Petsmart.  At 8:58 p.m. on November 1, I saw their first 2012 TV Christmas ad.

CORRECTION:  It seems, earlier, Kohl's had aired a "holiday" commercial.  It's unlikely I would have ever shopped there, anyway.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home