Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another response (as published 7/26)

My mother's parents emigrated from Poland. My father's parents were Germans who had been living in Poland, because the country had been overrun by much of Europe for years, mostly by the nations to the east and west -- Germany and Russia. In 1939, Hitler launched an unprovoked military attack on Poland.

At our house, that event created no friction between my Polish mother and my German father, because, unlike Steve Lewis (letter 7/20) and those who have influenced him, they refused to punish each other for the sins committed by people over whom they had no control.

Neither I nor any of my ancestors ever bought any slaves or oppressed any American Indians, and I refuse to accept the guilt for those who did. I will not be lectured that I command any more privileges than any other Americans. I have worked for everything I have, and have taken advantage of no one.

Contrary to Lewis' assertion, health care is not "granted." It is earned by those who work for it, and those who are temporarily unemployed are not allowed to die because of Christian compassion, and not government largesse.

George W. Bush is no longer President, and blaming him for the incompetence of President Obama is counterproductive; and although Lewis acknowledges that the United States faces great problems, I suspect the greatest problem is the disturbing mindset of Steve Lewis and those who think as he does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home