Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Monday, August 02, 2010

Hamett's back (published 8/9)

A Republican is a member of a specifically organized political group which holds regular meetings, collects dues and/or contributions, actively sends members out to propagate its beliefs, and from which some members are chosen to run for public office. Because I am in no way thus engaged, Douglas W. Hamett's letter of 8/1, calling me a Republican, begins with a false premise. Also, when he attempts to punish me for what he perceives to be the sins of Republicans [ab ovo], he reveals that he only focused upon my reference to compassion, and ignored the main thrust of my earlier letter, in which I refused to accept guilt for the acts of those over whom I had no control.

I come from a time when Americans accepted full responsibility for their actions and their futures. When they had insurmountable problems or grew old and/or infirmed, they were able to call upon their families or their churches to help them. Some of us believe that allowing the government to usurp that function is a sign of moral weakness.

Now, the cost of all those government "entitlements" has come home to roost, and while Hamett enjoys his "free" money, I am pondering what I can tell my grandsons and greatgranddaughters about the $3 trillion debt with which we have burdened them.

True compassion begins at home, not in the halls of Congress, and is measured not in dollars, but by love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home