Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I don't believe it

Last night, on that misnamed talent show, the final contestant was a ten-year-old girl who had been discovered on UTube with the operatic voice of an adult. I didn't believe her for a minute.

I was a voice student at Indiana University, and the young women's voices in college weren't that mature. Also, I thought I detected lip syncing as she "sang" with a recorded orchestra. But the clincher for me was the fact that when, before her performance, they showed three clips of her doing vocal exercises with her teacher, there wasn't the slightest hint that she could create the sound we heard on stage. That's because little girls' voices, and those of most mature women for that matter, cannot be sufficiently physically developed to produce such an operatic sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home