Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

She's having my baby

Everything at our house runs on electricity. On Friday, at 8:15 am, the power went out, and was off until Sunday at 9:00 pm. It was cold; it was dark; it was depressing.

I don't watch many movies, certainly few made after the 1980s. In my depression, I kept remembering the one I had seen on Thursday night, and hoping it wasn't going to be the last I might ever see. It was "Knocked Up," and I purchased it "buy one, get one free." Tony Scott named it the 10th best movie of 2007, and he and others said it was very funny. It wasn't.

It was the story of five losers and their encounter with a young lady who had a responsible job and had just been promoted, and decided to get drunk to celebrate. Stupidly, she had sex with one particularly unattractive loser, and. . . thus the title.

At that point, the film was over as far as I could see, but because I had heard it was funny, I kept watching, hoping to be amused. It never happened. It would only be funny to someone who considers the constant use of the word "fuck" in all its forms -- noun, verb, adjective and the gerund "fucking" -- humorous. It might be funny to someone who values indolence, drug use and alcohol consumption, and watching a prolonged ignorant lecture on blow jobs, but it was not my idea of laughable. The birth sequence was nicely done, almost touching, but not funny. I chuckled twice, once near the very end when the Daddy whispered to the baby, "She said, 'Just do it.'"

Wait, I remember the one other laugh. The brief scene when the Mommy and her sister raced through the store, gathering up numerous home pregnancy tests, was cute. That's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home