Dolce far niente

"Too much law make people mad." "Hawai'i"

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Baseball

Always on the lookout for interesting uses of language and clever combinations of words, I heard an entertaining example yesterday. After many years of following baseball on radio and TV, for the first time, I heard the pitcher standing on the pitching mound referred to as being "out on the bump." Almost every game, you will see and/or hear something you've never encountered before. That's the charm of the "national pastime."

In this time of national uncertainty and changing fortunes, it is comforting to know that there is someplace where the rules never change, and no one is punished for differences of opinion or honest mistakes.

MOSQUE MISTAKE: I think I have heard President Obama speak more often than the twelve previous Presidents with whom I have lived COMBINED. With that much babble, it's inevitable he would occasionally say something wrong. I have also heard him apologize for his gaffes with annoying frequency. He should embrace my father's advice -- If you don't understand the subject, keep your mouth shut. (I haven't always observed that admonition, but I'm not the President. However, unlike the President, I love my country, and my comments are always meant to honor her laws and traditions.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home